Monday, August 19, 2013

Welcome to Europe! First Stop...Dublin, Ireland!

We have done so much and yet it feels like we just arrived. After 3 weeks now in Europe we are in the heat of the big adventure!

It's hard to explain what it's like for me to travel - to put into words the sights, sounds, and smells of a place or even the people and how they look and speak or how their mannerisms illustrate their ingrained history. For me, traveling in Europe is all about how it feels to pass through the same door or walk on the same stone floors that others have also walked on for hundreds of years. You can just feel the stories, the history, surrounding you. Even though sleeping on a bunk in a hostel or taking an all-night bus ride might not be the most glamorous travel 
accommodations, it is all worth it when you step foot into the Trinity Library, or stare in wide-eyed wonder at the perfection within in the writing of the Book of KellsIt puts even the small everyday things into perspective!

The internet availability has been sketchy and the way that Matt packs our schedule makes for little to no time to update you all on the things we've seen and done so far. It truly has been an eye opening and amazing experience. I'll do my best to highlight and share with you my favorite parts as often as I can as we continue our journey!


DUBLIN
After what seemed like an eternity in the airport and on the plane we finally made it to Dublin! And of course being that there is a little Irish in me blood we went to the pub and crossed off #48 on my bucket list! Mmmmmmmm!
I now also know why it is so green in Ireland....It is always raining! I packed my raincoat with the thought that I'd need it later in the trip (like November) but it has been needed almost every day. But being Oregonians we know how to make the most of it even in the rain!
The Trinity Library
Absolutely amazing literary collection! It felt like I walked right into the restricted section of the library at Hogwarts!
Example from the collection at the Trinity Library.
The precision and perfection of the calligraphy along with all the detailed embellishments were breathtaking.
St. Patrick's Cathedral

We took a tour of Kilmainham Gaol. Not the nicest place in the world to be (as you can see to the left) but full of Irish History. It was here that the 1916 revolutionaries were held and then executed. I had no idea how recent Irish political history was. 


 Kilmainham Gaol
What a site for political history! It helped to put the strife for independence and Irish freedom into perspective.
A whiskey making engine at the Old Jameson Distillery. 

I was chosen to participate in a whiskey tasting and am now a qualified Irish Whiskey Taster.
Dad...you should be so proud!

One of the best meals in Dublin by far!
One of my most favorite meals was at Madigans Pub where I ordered the Fish and Chip Butty. When my sandwich arrived I looked at it and made the comment, "that looks good" and our waiter look straight at me and replied with all seriousness, "It's frickin' awesome!" A little taken back by his personal excitement of my meal I smiled and dug in. I ate every bite of that butty and would concur with him that It was indeed frickin' awesome!

PADDYWAGON DAY TOUR
We took a day trip to visit the Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, the Giant's Causeway, Dunluce Castle and Belfast. What a great way to see some of the more remote sites of Ireland along with a witty guide to fill you in on all the stories and history along the way.



Next to the big green Paddywagon.
It sure was happy to have
us on board!

Our hike to the bridge was a bit wet but we didn't really mind.
And as luck would have it... it did finally stop when we got there.
Carraick-a-Rede Rope Bridge
The view looking down from the bridge.
Matt taking in the beautiful Irish view.
The Giant's Causway
Matt told me to make a hexagon with my hands. This is my best attempt.
THE NIGHT LIFE IN DUBLIN
We had to experience the famous Dublin nightlife. So we headed off one evening to find just the right pub to have a pint and listen to some fine live music with a bit of Irish dancing. We stopped by the iconic Temple Bar and notice that with a name like that over the door we could do no wrong but continued on in hopes of finding one with less of a crowd and more of a menu that didn't just have liquid nourishment.

The iconic Temple Bar at Temple Bar.



























We settled on Fitzsimons where we had a fine meal of Irish Stew, a pint of Irish red ale, and listened to some traditional Irish music and dancing.

All in all...It was Grand!

Keep reading along for more on our adventures in Ireland as we rent a car anhead off to explore Dingle and the Irish countryside...


No comments:

Post a Comment